Swagbucks Referrals

Search & Win

Monday, March 21, 2011

Freezer Cooking Weekend

Charlie has been sick, so we canceled our plans to go to Tri-cities to hang with the fam on Saturday. That left us me with some unplanned days where Charlie wanted to do nothing but sleep, watch Cars, and snuggle with Daddy. Hence, I took advantage! Both of my freezers are pretty full right now! I got a lot of help from Money Saving Mom. Here's what I made:

Chicken stock
Place an entire fryer chicken (cut into pieces) into a large stock pot. Cover with water. Add salt and a couple cubes of chicken boullion ( I know that kinda defeats the purpose of homemade stock, but since I use the chicken for enchiladas, I wanted it to have a little more flavor). Cook on medium high for about an hour. Remove chicken pieces and shred the chicken. Put the bones and skin back in the pot. Add a couple onions, quartered, some roughly chopped carrots and celery, some parsley, a bay leaf and some thyme. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer on low. Simmer for 4-5 hours. Strain out all the solids. Let cool to room temp, the pour into 2 glass 9x13 pans. Place in refrigerator overnight. In the morning, skim off all the fat. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Each cube is 1 ounce. Store in ziplock baggies. This last step takes some time. I can only freeze 6 trays at a time, and I've had to do that twice so far.

Memory's Chicken Enchiladas
Combine 2 cans cream of mushroom soup with 2-20 oz. cans of enchilada sauce (I like the Old El Paso mild sauce). Create an assembly line with corn tortillas, cheddar cheese, shredded chicken from the stock) and sauce. Dip a corn tortilla in the sauce, fill with chicken and cheese, then roll and place in a 9x13 pan(I use foil pans for freezing stuff). I can usually fit about 12 of the enchiladas in a pan-8 one way and 4 the other way. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. You may want to put foil over the top for the first 25 minutesso the cheese doesn't burn-- the original recipe calls for the cheese to be added for the last 5-10 minutes.

Lasagna Casserole

Marinated Chicken

Calzones
I made a double batch of pizza dough in my Kitchenaid. This yummy dough recipe comes from my sister Kellie. You can substitute whole wheat flour for half the bread flour if you want.

1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup warm water
3 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp butter

Mix the first four together and let sit for 3 minutes, then mix the rest of the ingredients in and let dough rise. Roll out the dough and cut circles using a saucer for a template. Put sauce, cheese, pepperoni, green bell pepper, and mushrooms in the center. Dip a pastry brush in water and wet the outside of the circle. Fold in half and crimp the edges with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure you can put them straight from the freezer to the oven, but it should take considerably longer--I'll let you know when I try it!

1 comment:

Lissaloo said...

Yummy! Love all the recipes, you are one productive lady :)

Free Traffic Counters
air travel discount